Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ash Wednesday: Santa Sabina

Starting almost fifteen hundred years ago Popes have been coming to this church for Ash Wednesday, to start the season of Lent. This church is the oldest church building in the city of Rome. It is simple and classic. In the hours of the morning when the rays of the sun were still more horizontial, rather than vertical, we treked down the venerable Janiculum Hill, crossed the river, and trekked up the Aventine Hill. We are in Rome proper -- the Rome of the ancients. It is at the bottom of this hill that the city recieved her shipments of grain. It was a poorer section of the city -- and since OUR LORD favors the poor, perhaps this is why some of the first Christians gathered in this area to worship him.

The season of Lent is a time to grow closer to the LORD. The path to the LORD is old and ancient, and it was trodded by these early Christians -- they were the first ones to walk it -- so it was a rough path -- there were many snarls like the persecutions and martyrdom -- but they charted that path to Christ for us. By going to where they first worshipped, we join them on this path growing closer to the LORD.

Reflection Questions:
Who has lead me to the grow closer to Christ? Friends? Relative? Strangers? SAINTS (which saints)?

Have I thanked God for putting these people in my life so that I could come to know Him better? Have I thanked them?

What are my snares -- the things that keep me from growing closer to the LORD? How is He helping me to be free from these snares?

No comments: