Thursday, February 7, 2008

Thursday after Ash Wednesday: San Giorgio al Velabro

Velabro is swamp -- This very old church was built in the swampy area between the Tiber River, and the Aventine and Palatine Hills. What is striking are its simplicity and it is also very noticable that the building is not square. The front side is much wider than the apse end, causing the whole body of the church to narrow towards the altar. This focuses all attention on the altar -- but this is not why the church was built this way. It is built on at the foot of a hill, which means they could not build it square, but rather had to match the contour of the hill. Since it is with his own hands that God formed the hill the way it is, and since he is all knowing (thus would have known a church to his honor would be built here), it can be said that the way this irregularly built church is built to God's plan, and not to the plans of men -- who probably would have demolished the hill side to build the church square. This lead to a question: How do I do things: prayer, life, work, leisure, what ever? Do I do them the way God wants them, or the way I want them? Which is better for me? Is my prayer simple? Or do I even make my prayer complicated like my life? During LENT how does God want me to simplify my prayer with him and my life?

No comments: